Chris Cannon MA, CACIIc
Adoption Counselor & Somatic Psychotherapist
Thank you for visiting my site. Before I get to know you, I'd love to tell you a little about myself. My journey into the world of mental health services has come through my own severe struggles with adoption trauma, addiction, and long-term depression. Such conditions have made me an avid researcher of the human mind and heart, and a passionate experimenter of the means by which we transform both. This research and experimentation has (thankfully) fine-tuned my relationship skills and made me fluent in many languages of internal exploration.
The most impactful of all of these have been the practices of meditation and somatic psychotherapy. I have spent nearly twenty years exploring them in depth. It makes sense that I would follow my bacherlor's degree in Psychology with a Masters in Mindfulness-Based Counseling at Naropa University. At Naropa, I was trained to gently use my long-term interest in meditation and Buddhism to spark a fire in my practice of somatic counseling.
I moved to Boulder, CO in 2014, where I have been working in the mental health field ever since. I have worked in community mental health, done mental health caretaking, and now work as a therapeutic mentor and a psychotherapist in private practice. When I am not working, you may find me in the record store, on a hiking trail, or dancing in my living room. I love to see people being kind to one another. I revel in sarcastic humor and wit. I loathe littering and fluorescent lights. I enjoy cooking, reading about Ayurveda, and all things Harry Potter. I love movies with existential themes that make me cry and fantasy books. I am a huge Little Women fan. Many things bring me joy, but nothing calms my mind more than an agenda-less evening at home with my girlfriend, Emma.
Education / Certifications / Training
• MA, Mindfulness-Based Clinical Counseling, Naropa University
• BA, Psychology, University of Cincinnati
• Certified Addiction Counselor II (candidate), Colorado
• Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute Certification Training, Beg. 1,2,3 & Int. 1,2
• CPR/First Aid & QMAP (Medication Administration) Certifications, Current
• Anti-Oppression Training, CO Coal. Against Sexual Violence
• Attachment Theory & Experiential Therapy: Family Systems, Austin Houghtaling Ph.D., LMFT
• Internet/Screen Addiction, David Sullivan LCSW, LAC
• ADHD & Executive Functioning, Danni Sullivan BA
• Therapist Induction, Angelo Cilbirti LPC, LAC, CGP
• Client De-escalation, Mental Health Partners
• Motivational Interviewing, Mental Health Partners